Monday, July 12, 2010

Afraid to Believe

2 Kings 4:8-37

I was reading the story of the wealthy woman who made a room in her house for Elisha. Out of gratitude he asked what he could do for her in return. Gracious host that she is, she insists that she needs nothing, but the persistent Elisha asks a servant "What can be done for her?" (v14), and the servant informs him that she has no son. So, Elisha calls her to him and tells her that the following year she will have a son. Her reaction: "No my Lord...don't mislead your servant..."

Poor woman of God! She has learned to embrace Phil 4:11 ("...I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.") so well that she forgot how to hope. Even with the blessing staring her right in the face all she could think of was it being snatched away, indeed later it even seemed to be (v20) when her son died. But, what she and I forget is that we serve a God who restores. Dreams, hearts, families, careers, finances, and lives (see v 35); trust that if He blessed you with it He will surely care, tend and restore it.

So the next time the man/woman of God stares into your eyes and speaks hope into your life receive it with every ounce of courage you have, and know that if He said it, its already done.

Amen

2 comments:

  1. I really needed to hear that today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nevada! I am just seeing your comment. I'm glad that this entry was a blessing to you. I hope that you're well.

    ReplyDelete