Saturday, May 29, 2010

The 25th Year


So, I am now 25 years old. I know its supposed to be taboo for women to talk about their age, but I as I have said before I don't get old, I get better. So those numbers getting higher each year will not be allowed to scare me.

I have always had the blessing of having friends who are older than me. So I usually get a sneak peek at what each year will hold. Now, of course this only works a little because experiences are different for each person, but from age 18 I have always heard one thing about year 25. The unanimous word on the street is that 25 is DIF-FI-CULT! There is reference to it in songs (see John Mayer's famous line "might be a quarter life crisis."), and countless conversations with my 30+ friends.

One thing that I have noticed is that it is never really described as bad, just difficult and I have a theory on why. Now I may get in trouble for this with my fellow 20-somethings, but I think in our early twenties we are just sort of finishing up our adolescence. Still exploring/experimenting with our new freedom. But something about 25, something about being halfway to 30 makes us realize that now is when we truly must decide who we want to be and what kind of life we want to lead, because if old habits die hard, and time is short, then we have little time to break all the bad ones and create good ones. Now is when I effect and witness the greatest changes in myself. And honestly, I am really excited about that. Do I think that it will all feel like butterflies and lightening bugs? No. But am I willing to push forward to experience the BEST possible me? Absolutely. I have to be. There is too much to do to be afraid.

So if you are 25 and up and remember what the shift in your life felt like, and pray for me. Stand with me and pray that I become all that God has created me to be, and if you are under 25 and reading this, I didn't mean to scare you. I just want you to know that you are bigger than the mountains you will face, it may look insurmountable, but trust me, if the God of Abraham, Issac, Jacob, and David dwells in you, then there is no way to measure the greatness that is working in you. Pray for me and I will pray for you.

Here is to an AMAZING 25th year!

2 comments:

  1. 1st of all, Happy Birthday Ina! I am so blessed by your blogs each time they pop up in my inbox. And at a sage 27 ;) I must tell you that everything you feel about 25 is spot on. Cherish this time. Learn the lessons, feel the feelings, and do the work. I can honestly say that a lot of the time it was not easy, but so worth it. I am in prayer for your safe passage through this transitional year. God is doing an amazing work in and through you! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Rhyan I am super late in getting this but thank you SO much! I'm glad that you are enjoying the blog, and feel free to spread the word.

    ReplyDelete