Saturday, November 26, 2016

My Friends the Gilmore Girls

When I was in high school I didn’t really have much time to keep up with Gilmore Girls. I mean I watched it but not really consistently, because if I wasn't in rehearsals at school I was in rehearsals outside of school. When I was in neither of those places I was probably performing in one of them. I’m kind of a purist when it comes to film and TV, I believe in watching things in order, if I couldn't do that then I didn't watch at all. For this reason I didn’t really get to completely fall in love with the show till college. A friend bought me a season and I was so hooked after that I ended up buying the entire show on DVD, complete with super cute packing case and book of Gilmorisms (didn't make that up, it's actually called that). I’m glad I started it when I was older though. Somehow I think that some of the subtly of the humor and conflict, would have gone over my head.



Last night, I was able to get together with some of my favorite characters for the first time in over a decade and the timing felt exactly right again. I credit the Palladino’s. I think the reason so many people loved this show, and why so many people will be moved by this new chapter is connection. If you're like me we grew with these characters, laughed, cried, and threw tantrums with them. And as I watched these newest episodes I realized I struggled with them too. Maybe not in the same way at the same time, but I understand what it is to feel lost in your own life. Afraid you’re a ship just floating aimlessly. Wondering if you’re too afraid to admit you’re too afraid to chase after the life you truly want. That’s what this show did, what it’s doing now, it screams “See, you’re not alone.” In fact my aunt used to ask about Rory as if she were one of my classmates. She tracked the year of my graduation from high school and college with her’s. She felt Rory reminded her of me, or I reminded her of Rory (one or the other), that’s how familiar the character felt. How connected people, some of whom didn’t even watch the show consistently, felt to these characters. There is strength in that. Life changing, dream affirming power in helping people know there are people in the world who are just as lost as they are, and have just as much fun and strife finding their way.


Thank you for that Amy Sherman-Palladino,


Ina

No comments:

Post a Comment